Virat Kohli led Team India has done it again. First, they whitewashed Sri Lanka in Tests and now they have replicated the same in ODI’s. India won the fifth and final match by 6 wickets to register another whitewash.
Jasprit Bumrah bagged the Man of the Series award for his phenomenal bowling display and Bhuvneshwar Kumar‘s five wicket haul gave him the Man of the Match award.
Many records were broken and many feats were achieved in the 5th ODI. Let’s have a look at them:
1. Virat Kohli scored his 30th ODI equalling former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting. Now it is only Sachin Tendulkar who is ahead of him in regards to centuries.
2. MS Dhoni became the first keeper to affect 100 stumpings, he pipped Kumar Sangakkara on his way to this feat.
3. Jasprit Bumrah joined Bhuvneshwar Kumar as the only pacers to have bagged Man of the Series award in an away series.
4. This was the first time Sri Lanka lost an ODI series 5-0 at home.
5. This is only the second time India has whitewashed a team 5-0 in an away series. The last time it happened was in 2013 against Zimbabwe.
— BCCI (@BCCI) September 3, 2017
6. With consecutive ODI centuries, Virat Kohli equalled Sourav Ganguly and Gautam Gambhir as the only other Indian captains to have done it.
7. Virat Kohli also equalled Mahela Jayawardena for the most number of centuries (18) by an Asian captain.
8. Virat Kohli is also second in the list with Sachin Tendulkar at the top when it comes to most overseas centuries by an Indian player. Sachin stands at 20 centuries and Virat Kohli is at 18.
9. Virat Kohli became the second skipper after Ricky Ponting to score three centuries against Sri Lanka in ODI’s.
10. Virat Kohli is just behind Sachin Tendulkar, when it comes to most centuries against a single opposition, Sachin Tendulkar has 9 against Australia and Kohli has 8 against Sri Lanka.
11. Virat Kohli became the first player to score 300-plus runs in five different bilateral ODI series’.
12. Virat Kohli became the fifth captain to amass in excess of 1000 runs in a calendar year.
13. Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma became the only Indian players to score 300-plus runs in a bilateral ODI series in Sri Lanka after Joe Root.
14. Jasprit Bumrah’s 15 wickets in the series are also the most by a fast bowler in a five match bilateral ODI series.
15. MS Dhoni with his 100th stumpings now has the most number of stumpings (22) against a single opposition.