Virat Kohli has had a stellar year in 2017 and at the ICC Awards in Dubai on Thursday, his efforts were felicated. He was announced the ICC Cricketer of the Year and ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year.
Kohli finished 2017 with a staggering 2818 runs across all international formats. The Indian captain scored 1059 runs in 10 Tests, 1460 runs in 26 ODIs and 299 runs in 10 T20 Internationals.
The 29-year-old smashed 11 tons including three double centuries: one vs Bangladesh and two vs Sri Lanka. He was rested from the ODI and T20I series against Sri Lanka and is currently leading India against the Proteas in South Africa.
With India flying high at the top of the rankings, Kohli scored 2203 Test runs at 77.80 including eight hundreds, 1818 ODI runs at 82.63 including seven hundreds, and 299 T20I runs at a strike rate of 153.
Australian skipper, Steve Smith was awarded as the ICC Test cricketer of the year. Smith was phenomenal with the bat, scoring 1305 runs from 11 matches, at an average of 76.76. He scored six hundreds and a highest of 239 in the recently concluded Ashes series which Australia won 4-0.
The Ashes were merely the culmination of an incredible year for Smith. In the award qualifying period, he played 16 Tests, scoring 1875 runs at 78.12, with eight hundreds and five 50s.
Here is the complete winners’ list of the ICC Awards 2017:
- ICC ODI Player of the year : Virat Kohli
- ICC Test Player of the year : Steve Smith
- ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year : Hasan Ali
- ICC Associate Cricketer of the Year : Rashid Khan
- ICC T20I Performance of the Year: Yuzvendra Chahal’s 6/25 against England
- ICC Spirit of Cricket Award : Anya Shrubsole
- ICC Fans’ Moment of the Year : Pakistan’s Champions Trophy Triumph
- ICC Umpire of the Year : Marais Erasmus
- ICC Cricketer of the year : Virat Kohli