The 12th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) is scheduled to start early because of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 in May-July.
However, the IPL 2019 unofficially begins from November 15 with the announcement of players’ retention. Till that date, all the eight franchises will have to decide whether to release or retain players in their squad for the next IPL season which will begin in March end and continue till the third week of May. The World Cup will start on May 30.
As the trading window for the forthcoming season is currently open, Delhi Daredevils (DD) have confirmed getting Shikhar Dhawan home in an exchange for 3 players with the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH). Also, Quinton De Kock has been picked by Mumbai Indians (MI) in exchange of two Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) players.
With the purse size rising from Rs 80 crore to Rs 82 crore this season, it has become all the more significant for the teams to make strategic decisions on release and retention of players in the run-up to the auction.
Here is the purse size of all 8 IPL franchises:
- Chennai Super Kings – Rs 8.5 crore
- Kings XI Punjab – Rs 6.80 crore
- Rajasthan Royals – Rs 3.65 crore
- Delhi Daredevils – Rs 5.35 crore
- Mumbai Indians – Rs 2.55 crore
- Kolkata Knight Riders – Rs 2 crore
- Sunrisers Hyderabad – Rs 0.90 crore
- Royal Challengers Bangalore – Rs 0.15 crore