The ongoing twelveth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) has been hit with a new umpiring howler as Kings XI Punjab skipper Ravichandran Ashwin bowled a seven-ball first over against Mumbai Indians at the IS Bindra Stadium in Mohali on Saturday.
After winning the toss and electing to bowl first in Match 9 of the IPL 2019, Ashwin decided to bowl the very first over; he bowled seven deliveries to MI openers Rohit Sharma and Quinton de Kock.
The umpire somehow missed the fact that Ashwin had already bowled six legitimate deliveries before he was smashed for a boundary by De Kock off the seventh ball.
This is how the first over from Ashwin went:
- 1st ball: Ashwin bowls a dot delivery to Rohit.
- 2nd ball: Rohit picks up a single to give De Kock the strike.
- 3rd ball: De Kock defends a straight delivery from Ashwin.
- 4th ball: De Kock hits the ball towards long off for a single.
- 5th ball: Ashwin bowls a dot delivery to Rohit.
- 6th ball: Rohit punches the ball towards covers for a single.
- 7th ball: De Kock hits the ball fine for the first four of the MI innings towards the third man.
Here’s how Twitter reacted:
Mankad, No-ball for one less fielder inside the circle, 7 ball over.
— Saurabh Malhotra (@MalhotraSaurabh) March 30, 2019
Ashwin bowled 7 balls in the last over and a four off the last ball😂
— Saurabh Shetty🔥👤 (@ItsShetty20) March 30, 2019
— Aditya Uttam (@adityauttam22) March 30, 2019
— #PAKvSL #INDvWI #AUSvNZ #SAvENG #PAKvSL #NZvAUS (@BiG_Bash_Live) March 30, 2019
Controversy follows Ashwin, he just bowled 7 ball over 😂😂😂#KXIPvMI
— sunny yadav (@ysunnyyadav) March 30, 2019