India’s destructive opening batsman Rohit Sharma created his magic once again as he scored a magnificent century in the second ODI against West Indies at Vishakhapatnam on Wednesday.
Rohit’s opening partner KL Rahul also continued the tremendous form and reached 3rd hundred of his ODI career. The duo added 227 runs for the first wicket.
Often referred to as ‘Hitman,’ Rohit is having a dream run in 2019. He brought up his 28th ODI century and equaled former Sri Lanka opener Sanath Jayasuriya’s tally of tons.
Most ODI 100s:
49 – Tendulkar
43 – Kohli
30 – Ponting
28* – ROHIT
28 – Jayasuriya#IndvWI
— Bharath Seervi (@SeerviBharath) December 18, 2019
Rohit broke several records during his 159-run knock. He has now eight 150-plus scores in 50-over cricket, the most in the history of ODIs. The Mumbai batsman leapfrogged Australia’s David Warner, who has six 150-plus scores.
— Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) December 18, 2019
Rohit also joined India’s former captain Saurav Ganguly and Warner in the list of most ODI hundreds in a calendar year by scoring the 7th ton in 2019. Sachin Tendulkar, however, is at the top of this list. Tendulkar smashed nine centuries in 1998.
Most ODI 100s in a calendar year
9 Sachin Tendulkar (1998)
7 Sourav Ganguly (2000)
7 David Warner (2016)
7 ROHIT SHARMA (2019)#INDvWI
— Deepu Narayanan (@deeputalks) December 18, 2019
The 32-year-old Sharma also surpassed his national team captain Virat Kohli to become the leading run-scorer in ODIs in 2019.
Rohit has scored 1427 ODI runs in the current year while Kohli amassed 1292 runs.
The Indian vice-captain also holds the record for the highest individual score of 264 runs in ODIs. The innings came against Sri Lanka in 2014 at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
Here are the records created by Rohit Sharma in the Vizag ODI:
- 1st opener with 10 International centuries in a year
- 1st player with international tons against 7 opponents in a year
- 1st player with three 150+ ODI scores against an opponent (3 vs WI)
- Most international sixes in a year (77* sixes)
- Most international sixes in India (190* sixes)
Rohit Sharma today:
– 1st opener with 10 International centuries in a year
– 1st player with INTL 100s vs 7 opponents in a year
– 1st player with 3 150+ ODI scores vs an opponent (3 vs WI)
– Most INTL sixes in a year (77* sixes)
– Most INTL sixes in India (190* sixes)#INDvWI
— Sampath Bandarupalli (@SampathStats) December 18, 2019