Coronavirus outbreak: Shoaib Akhtar lashes out at Chinese people for putting the ‘world at high risk’

Posted On

As the world struggles to adapt to the increasing threat of the coronavirus outbreak, former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has chosen to direct his anger at neighbours China. In the latest video on his YouTube channel, Akhtar has blamed the Chinese people” for putting the ‘world at high risk’ while raising questions regarding their eating habits.


“I don’t understand why you have to eat things like bats, drink their blood and urine and spread some virus across the globe…I’m talking about the Chinese people. They have put the world at stake. I really don’t understand how you can eat bats, dogs, and cats. I’m really angry,” Akhtar said in the video.

“The whole world is at risk now. The tourism industry has been hit, the economy is badly affected and the whole world is going towards a lockdown. I’m not against the people of China but I’m against the law of animals. I understand this may be your culture but this is not benefitting you now, it is killing humanity. I’m not saying you boycott the Chinese but there has to be some law. You cannot go on and eat anything and everything,” he added.


Coronavirus, which originated in China’s Wuhan city, has so far spread to more than 100 countries, infecting over 1,30,000 people. In Pakistan, the number of positive cases have crossed 25 till Saturday (March 14).

Many sporting events, including the Indian Premier League (IPL) and Pakistan Super League (PSL), have been affected by the disease which has now been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

While the IPL 2020, which was originally scheduled to start from March 29, has been suspended till April 15, the playoff stage of PSL has been curtailed and will now be played behind closed doors.


“The biggest reason for anger is PSL…Cricket returned to Pakistan after so many years, the PSL was happening in our country for the first time now even that is at risk. The foreign players are leaving, it will take place behind closed doors,” Akhtar said.

The remaining two matches of the India vs South Africa series, New Zealand tour of Australia and Australia’s return tour have also been postponed because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

“I’ve also heard that IPL has been postponed till April 15. The hotel industries, travel industries, broadcasters everything will incur losses because of this.


“God forbid the virus doesn’t reach India. There are around 130 crore people there. I’ve been in touch with my friends in India and wishing them well,” Akhtar added.

For latest cricket news and updates, subscribe to our Daily Newsletter.

About the Author:
Anirudh is a die-hard cricket fan, loves playing, watching and talking about cricket. Cricket is his Religion & 'Sachin Tendulkar' his GOD. His motto of life is Eat, Sleep, Cricket, REPEAT!! You can write to him at anirudh@crickettimes.com or anirudhsingh2904@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter, Facebook & Linkedin.