Rohit Sharma, arguably the finest timer of the cricket ball is celebrating his 33rd birthday. Widely popular as the ‘Hitman’ is regarded as one of the best batsmen of the limited-overs format at present.
Rohit started his international career in 2007, however, in the first few years, he couldn’t perform up to the expectations and his potential but then came Champions Trophy in 2013 which showed a complete transformation and a new avatar of the talented batsman.
Since then, Rohit started opening in ODI cricket and the rest, as they say, is history. The Mumbai batsman never looked back, and in the coming years he went on to become a giant name by stockpiling a mountain of runs and smashing ‘daddy’ hundreds.
On his special day, let’s head towards the top 15 records which Rohit has created in international cricket:
- The only batsman to score three double hundreds in ODI cricket (209 against Australia, 264 and 208* against Sri Lanka).
- The only batsman to smash four centuries in T20 internationals.
- Most sixes by a batsman in a single Test match (13 against South Africa).
- The only batsman to score five hundreds in a single edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup (2019).
- Most sixes in T20 Internationals so far (127).
- Most runs by an opener in international cricket in a calendar year (2442 in 2019).
- Highest individual run-scorer in ODIs – 264.
- Rohit has the second-highest number of sixes, 16 (after Eoin Morgan, 17), in ODI innings.
- The only Indian to score a T20I century as a captain.
- The only batsman to score eight 150+ in ODIs.
- The second-fastest opener in the world to touch 5000 ODI runs after Hashim Amla (Rohit took 102 innings while Amla achieved this feat in 100 innings).
- Most 50+ scores in T20Is as of now (25).
- Most T20I matches for India (108).
- Most international sixes in a calendar year (78 in 2019).
- Joint fastest centurion in T20I along with David Miller – 35 balls.