Coronavirus crisis: Cricket West Indies cut the salaries of its staff and players

Posted On
Credit: West Indies Cricket

Cricket West Indies (CWI) has decided to temporarily slash salaries and funding of its staff and players by 50% starting July to deal with the “debilitating” impact of the coronavirus pandemic.


“With no international cricket currently being played anywhere in the world, and with great uncertainty of when regular cricket activity will resume, CWI – like many other international sporting organisations worldwide — is facing a significant loss of income, whilst also being uncertain of the long-term impact of the crisis on our operations,” said CWI in its statement on Saturday.

“It is in that context that CWI’s Board of Directors, with deep regret, have agreed to a plan that we expect will safeguard CWI’s future while delivering at least a minimum level of job protection for all of the people employed or contracted throughout the region’s cricket community.


“The effects of this pandemic have been distressing for everyone — the worst crisis of our lifetime — and at present, we cannot be certain when the situation will be rectified,” said CWI CEO Johnny Graves.

“We recognize that this will cause financial pain for all our staff, players, coaches and umpires across the Caribbean, but having kept everyone on full-pay since the outbreak in March we have no choice but to take decisive action from next month onwards.

“CWI’s greatest asset is our people and players and everyone sharing equally in the temporary reduction, we believe is the best way for us to ensure we get through this crisis and protect our organisation and all the jobs in the system. We will be reviewing the situation regularly with the hope that we can return to normal operations at the earliest opportunity.”


Earlier in the day, CWI gave its approval for a “bio-secure” Test tour to England.

West Indies were first slated to play three Tests against England in June, but the original starting date of the series was pushed due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is looking to go ahead with the series against West Indies in July and then the Three Lions will play three Tests against Pakistan.


CATEGORY: News, West Indies

For latest cricket news and updates, subscribe to our Daily Newsletter.

About the Author:
Anirudh is a die-hard cricket fan, loves playing, watching and talking about cricket. Cricket is his Religion & 'Sachin Tendulkar' his GOD. His motto of life is Eat, Sleep, Cricket, REPEAT!! You can write to him at anirudh@crickettimes.com or anirudhsingh2904@gmail.com and follow him on Twitter, Facebook & Linkedin.