Veteran India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin is widely known for his humour and epic comebacks on social media. From public figures to ordinary users, Ashwin more often than not tickles fans’ funny bone just by hilarious responses. On Monday (June 29), he again showed his fantastic sense of humour when the news regarding the ban of 59 Chinese apps, including TikTok, broke out.
Ashwin took a dig at Australian opener David Warner who is pretty much active on TikTok and has recently emerged as a social media star on the concerned platform. Warner had shared several dancing videos on this app featuring his family members which were largely appreciated by Indian fans.
After the announcement from Government of India came regarding the ban on TikTok, Ashwin tagged Warner on Twitter and asked: “Appo Anwar?” – a dialogue from superstar Rajnikant’s 1995 film “Baashha”.
— Ashwin 🇮🇳 (@ashwinravi99) June 29, 2020
The dialogue that the Chennai-born cricketer used translates to: “So, what’s David Warner going to do now?”
Earlier on Monday, the Indian government banned 59 Chinese mobile apps, including some popular apps like TikTok, UC Browser and Cam Scanner. A statement from the government said that the apps are ‘engaged in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, the security of the state and public order’.
Both Warner and Ashwin were all set to feature in the 2020 season of Indian Premier League (IPL) which was scheduled to commence from March 29. But due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) was forced to postpone the 13th edition of the lucrative league for an indefinite time.
However, fans are still optimistic regarding the commencement of IPL as recently BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had said that the apex board is exploring every option to organize the T20 tournament even if the cash-rich league happens behind closed doors.
“The BCCI is working on all possible options to ensure that we are able to stage IPL this year, even if it means playing the tournament in empty stadiums.”
“The fans, franchises, players, broadcasters, sponsors and all other stakeholders are keenly looking forward to the possibility of IPL being hosted this year,” Ganguly had said.