Cricket will be back in South Africa with CSA’s brand-new format 3TC (three-team cricket). The biggest names in the Proteas circuit will take the field in Centurion on June 27 with one interesting match – three teams will lock horns in one 36-over match in what will be a never-before-seen format in the gentlemen’s game.
The exhibition match has been named as ‘Solidarity Cup’ and will begin at 2:30 PM IST. All the proceeds from the match will go to people who have been severely affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Match Format & Rules:
- Each match consists of 3 teams of 8 players each.
- The 36-over match is split into two 18-over halves. There is also a break at half-time.
- Each innings of a team is 12 overs long. The two opposing teams will bowl 6 overs each.
- In the first half of the game, the three teams rotate between BATTING, BOWLING, and DUGOUT. The starting positions of the three teams are determined by a draw.
- In the second half of the game, teams bat in descending order of the scores in the first half, and if scores are tied, the first half order is reversed.
- After the 7th wicket falls, the last batsman can bat alone but can only score in even numbers of runs. However, if the 7th wicket falls in the first half, the team has to forego the remaining balls in that half. The last batsman resumes his team’s innings in the second half.
- Bowling teams will be given one new ball for all their 12 overs. This ball will be used for both teams they bowl too.
- Each bowler can bowl a maximum of 3 overs. These 3 overs can be split across both innings, and in any permutation to either of the two opponents. An uncompleted overdue to the fall of the 7th wicket will be filled with dot balls on the scorecard.
- 3 additional fielders are allowed in the game since each team has only 8 players. These can be selected by each team or provided by the DUGOUT opposition, in which case fielding restrictions may be applied.
- Cricket rules for wides, no-balls and bouncers apply.
- Rain-hampered games can only be shortened to 18, 24 or 30 overs. A formula has been laid down by 3TC in this regard.
- The teams in descending order of runs win Gold, Silver and Bronze respectively. If 2 teams tie with most runs, a Super Over will decide who wins the Gold. If all 3 teams tie, all get Gold. If there is a tie for second place, Silver is shared.
3T Cricket- The teams and players
AB’s Eagles: AB de Villiers (c), Aiden Markram, Lungi Ngidi, Andile Phehlukwayo, Rassie van der Dussen, Junior Dala, Kyle Verreynne, Sisanda Magala
Quinny’s Kites: Quinton de Kock (c), David Miller, Temba Bavuma, Anrich Nortje, Dwayne Pretorius, Beuran Hendricks, JJ Smuts, Lutho Sipamla
KG’s Kingfishers: Kagiso Rabada (c), Faf du Plessis, Chris Morris, Tabraiz Shamsi, Reeza Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Heinrich Klaasen, Glenton Stuurman