The much-awaited mega auction of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 is expected to take place by the end of December or January first week. Ahead of the big auctions, all eight IPL franchises have been asked to submit the list of their retained players by today (November 30).
When it comes to retentions, franchises can only retain four players with a combination of either two Indians and as many overseas or three Indians and one foreign player. Concerning the prize bracket of retained players, teams have the auction purse to INR 90 crore.
If a team retains four players, they lose INR 42 crore, similarly, If the team retains three players, that’s INR 33 crore. Likewise, INR 24 crore for two players and INR 14 crore for just one player. When it comes to a retained uncapped player, he gets a maximum of INR 4 crore. However, the player has the ultimate authority to decide whether he wants to be retained or not.
Ahead of the official announcement of retained players by the franchises, a report in ESPNcricinfo has revealed a few names that the existing franchises have decided to retain for IPL 2022. As per the report, Chennai Super Kings (CSK), Delhi Capitals (DC) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) have picked four players, while Mumbai Indians (MI) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) have gone with two players each.
Similarly, Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) and Rajasthan Royals (RR) have retained one player each. Interestingly, Punjab Kings haven’t retained even a single player ahead of the mega auctions for IPL 2022.
Here is a list of names that franchises have retained:
- Chennai Super Kings: Ravindra Jadeja, MS Dhoni, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Moeen Ali.
- Kolkata Knight Riders: Sunil Narine, Andre Russell, Varun Chakravarthy, Venkatesh Iyer
- Delhi Capitals: Rishabh Pant, Prithvi Shaw, Axar Patel, Anrich Nortje
- Mumbai Indians: Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: Virat Kohli, Glenn Maxwell
- Rajasthan Royals: Sanju Samson
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: Kane Williamson