Clinical India crushed Sri Lanka by eight wickets in the final match of the Women’s Asia Cup 2022 at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium on Saturday, October 15.
India has won seven of eight Asia Cup titles, losing only one to Bangladesh in 2018. They defeated Pakistan twice and Sri Lanka five times to become champions of this tournament, held eight times in the last 18 years.
The day in Sylhet was extremely memorable for the Women in Blue as tight bowling from Renuka Singh (3/5), in particular, restricted the Islanders to 65-9 in 20 overs. The paltry target of 66 was comfortably chased down by Harmanpreet Kaur & Co. in 8.3 overs. Opening batter Smriti Mandhana top-scored for her side with an unbeaten 51 [6×4, 3×6] off 25 balls.
“We read the wicket well and positions fielders accordingly,” India skipper Harmanpreet said in the post-match presentation. “We should credit our bowlers. Our fielding unit was good from ball one and we discussed that we should not give away easy runs,” she added.
Full list of award winners with prize money
- Winners: India – $20000 (approx. ₹16,48,000)
- Runners-up: Sri Lanka – $12,500 (approx. ₹10,30,00)
- Player of the Match (final): Renuka Singh – $1000 (approx. ₹82,000)
- Player of the Tournament: Deepti Sharma – $2000 (approx. ₹1,64,000)
- Most runs: Jemimah Rodrigues (IND) – 217
- Highest score: Harshitha Madavi (SL) – 81
- Highest average: Nida Dar (PAK) – 72.50
- Most fifties: Jemimah Rodrigues (IND) – 2
- Most sixes: Shafali Verma (IND) – 6
- Most wickets: Deepti Sharma (IND) & Inoka Ranaweera (SL) – 13
- Best bowling average: Rumana Ahmed (BAN) – 5.80
- Best bowling figures: Omaima Sohail (PAK) – 5/13
- Best economy rate: Meghna Singh (IND) – 2.40