England star all-rounder Ben Stokes has revealed the frightening moment when he almost choked on a tablet and later was hit by a ball on his forearm during the training session, making him think that it might be broken.
Stokes said the tablet went down the wrong way and got stuck in his windpipe, causing him to choke as he couldn’t breathe at all.
“It was actually down to a simple tablet that went down the wrong way and got stuck in my windpipe, causing me to choke horribly before the glands in my face went into overdrive to flush it out. Until it actually came out, I thought this might be the end,” Stokes wrote in The Daily Mirror.
The 30-year-old also feared he had suffered a broken arm after being struck by a ball in the nets during the team’s practice session but was given the green flag by the team’s physios.
“I couldn’t lift it… I thought it was broken. Thankfully the pain and reaction settled down once I was back in the dressing room, and the physios could be sure it wasn’t actually a break,” revealed Stokes.
“It was only after I got back to my hotel room that I took stock of what a day I’d had. The adrenaline had worn off, and I was exhausted. Happy that I’m here to tell the tale, but hoping that my pre-Test dramas are now over,” the Christchurch-born added.
Meanwhile, England managing director Ashley Giles asserted he was hopeful Stokes would be ready to take on the Aussies in Gabba. Notably, the Durham cricketer had taken an indefinite break from all forms of the game in July to prioritise his mental wellbeing.
The first Test of the Ashes 2021-22 will begin from December 8 at the iconic Gabba in Brisbane.