The much-awaited schedule for Asia Cup 2022 has been released. The multi-team tournament will start on August 27, with Sri Lanka taking on Afghanistan in the opening game.
The exciting competition will be hosted by United Arab Emirates (UAE) as the event, which was originally planned to take place in Sri Lanka, was moved out due to the ongoing economic crisis in the Island nation.
“Considering the prevailing situation in Sri Lanka, the ACC, after extensive deliberation, has unanimously concluded that it would be appropriate to relocate the tournament from Sri Lanka to the UAE,” the ACC said in a statement.
“Every effort was made to host the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, and the decision to shift the venue to the UAE was taken after much deliberation. The UAE will be the new venue while Sri Lanka will continue to retain hosting rights,” the statement added.
The second fixture of the Asia Cup will be the eye-popping match between arch-rivals India and Pakistan on August 28 in Dubai. Following the game against Pakistan, India will face off against a Qualifier. After the group stage fixtures, there would be a Super 4 phase, and the best two sides will qualify for the finals.
The schedule of Asia Cup 2022, which will finish on September 11, was shared by Asian Cricket Council (ACC) chief Jay Shah on Twitter.
“The wait is finally over as the battle for Asian supremacy commences on August 27 with the all-important final on September 11. The 15th edition of the Asia Cup will serve as ideal preparation ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup,” tweeted Shah, the secretary of BCCI.
The wait is finally over as the battle for Asian supremacy commences on 27th August with the all-important final on 11th September.
The 15th edition of the Asia Cup will serve as ideal preparation ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup. pic.twitter.com/QfTskWX6RD
— Jay Shah (@JayShah) August 2, 2022
Asia Cup 2022 Full schedule:
- August 27 – Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, Dubai
- August 28 – India vs Pakistan, Dubai
- August 30 – Bangladesh vs Afghanistan, Sharjah
- August 31 – India vs Qualifier, Dubai
- September 1 – Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, Dubai
- September 2 – Pakistan vs Qualifier, Sharjah
- September 3 – B1 vs B2, Sharjah
- September 4 – A1 vs A2, Dubai
- September 6 – A1 vs B1, Dubai
- September 7 – A2 vs B2, Dubai
- September 8 – A1 vs B2, Dubai
- September 9 – B1 vs A2, Dubai
- September 11 – Final, Dubai