The deadly disease Covid-19 has shocked the entire world and put fears amongst many. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared it a pandemic. Since then, many events belonging to various fields around the world have either been cancelled or postponed.
Several cricket series have been affected by the Coronavirus outbreak. The India vs South Africa One-Day International (ODI) series has been postponed after the first game got washed away at Dharmsala.
The Chappell-Hadlee series between Australia and New Zealand was also cancelled after the first game held at Sydney Cricket Ground, where the hosts managed to defeat the visitors by 71 runs. During the series, Aussie fast bowler Kane Richardson and Kiwi pacer Lockie Ferguson were quarantined for Coronavirus, but their tests came out as negative.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) suspended the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) till April 15 after the Indian government cancelled all visas except employment and diplomatic ones till the same date.
BCCI has also suspended all remaining domestic games, including the Irani Cup, due to Coronavirus scare. The Irani Cup was supposed to start on March 18. Apart from this, many other domestic tournaments have been postponed by BCCI.
The Indian Board issued a press release and said: ”In view of the ongoing Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) outbreak, the BCCI on Saturday announced that all matches of the Paytm Irani Cup, Senior Women’s One-Day Knockout, Vizzy Trophy, Senior Women’s One-Day Challenger, Women’s Under 19 One-Day knockout, Women’s Under 19 T20 League, Super League and knockout, Women’s Under 19 T20 Challenger Trophy, Women’s Under 23 knockout, Women’s Under 23 One-Day Challenger have been put on hold till further notice.”
Here’s a list of postponed/cancelled cricket series due to Coronavirus:
- Sheffield Shield in Australia
- New Zealand tour of Australia 2020
- MCC vs Essex match in Galle
- Netherlands tour of Namibia
- Surrey and Worcestershire cancel pre-season tours
- IPL postponed from March 29 to April 15
- India vs South Africa ODI series
- Road Safety World Series
- England tour of Sri Lanka 2020
- World Cup League 2 series in Florida
- World XI v Asia XI matches in Bangladesh
- Everest Premier League in Nepal
- Australia Women’s tour of South Africa
- Irani Cup and India domestic tournaments on hold
- Cricket in West Indies remains suspended from March 16 for a minimum of 30 days